Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Amateur Chef Here

DH was the head cook in this house before his car accident.  Now he can't do much in the kitchen so it's up to me if we want to eat something that isn't frozen... M&M's has been a very good friend over the past two years.

I went on an adventure in cooking tonight.

I've always wanted to cook with wine.  I don't know why, I guess it just seems so classy and upscale.  Delicious in restaurants, easy to screw up at home.

So I googled "white wine pasta sauce" and all that came up for me was alfredo sauces.  Well do I have the ingredients for that?  Of course not, I have wine and garlic, that's about it on those ingredient lists.

I decide to wing it.
I'm terrified.
Pizza on speed dial...

Yes, I could have asked Chef Hubby for advice but I wanted to do it alone and surprise him.

Success!!
It was actually delicious!




What I had on hand::
Jackson Triggs Sauvignon Blanc - I used a cup and half though next time I think a cup would do fine
One red pepper, chopped
Two chicken breasts - from M&M's so cooked according to the directions and then cubed
Chopped garlic (not fresh unfortunately) - I used about 2 teaspoons
Italian Herbs (in the tube from the produce section of the grocery store) - I used about 1/2 tbsp

What I did::
Chicken in the oven, 20 minutes per side.
While it was in for the first 20, I washed and chopped my pepper.
Once I flipped it I started my sauce.
Heat a large skillet with some olive oil.
Add garlic and peppers and saute until the garlic is golden.
Add the white wine and whatever spices you are going to use.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Don't be like me and forget to put the water on to boil for the pasta!!
Once the chicken was done I cubed it and threw it in the sauce to simmer away until the pasta was done... 
because it was late getting started and all that...
Once your pasta is done (or if it's done at the same time as the chicken like it should be) throw that in the sauce as well.
Simmer for 5 minutes or so
Remove from heat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes for the sauce to thicken up a bit.

Voila.
Just like the pros...
Kind of...

2 comments:

  1. congrats, it looks great !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete