Saturday, October 29, 2011

I have a birth plan

A friend saw my header, loved it but mentioned that if you don't know what the picture is of, it may be hard to figure out.



Looking at it now in color I guess it is a lot easier to understand.  That's me on the operating table minutes after P was born via c-section.  It was a scheduled c-section and I was well prepared for it.



I had a birth plan and luckily all went according to plan.  It was my choice to have a c-section and I hate the way people look at me when I say this, when I don't explain to them why.  I feel like people look down on me because I didn't even try to go for a natural birth.  I do have medical reasons for this choice, if I didn't my doctor never would have done it.  Having just moved to Hamilton I had a brand new doctor, who unless she fully read my file (does she really have time to read every detail?) wouldn't know my history.  I went into the doctor's office and said to her "I have a birth plan".  I had to explain everything to the doctor, go home and think about it (although I already knew my decision), talk to the doctor again, sign some forms, talk to the doctor again and she finally agreed that this was the right thing to do for my situation.

Everyone has reasons for what they do.  No one should be judged for the choices they make.  Mothers who had emergency c-sections aren't frowned upon, why do I have to explain to strangers all the reasons I had a scheduled c-section?

If I had to go back and do it again, I would do it the exact same way.  My decision ensured that I have a beautiful angel and that I am healthy as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment