Friday, November 11, 2011

Bland is Blah!

I recently read a friend's blog post, Make Milk, Not War.  In it she writes about both of her daughters having no interest in eating.  Her four year old is still "insanely picky".  I was wondering if this is what I was in for.

We started with rice cereal as most people do.  Yuck, I wouldn't eat it so why am I feeding it to the Bug.  And I certainly did not enjoy cleaning it up after.  So we moved on to jarred baby food and she enjoyed them at first, eating it all up but as she got older she wasn't having it. I couldn't even get her to open her mouth.  Then we found a local company called Healthy Beginnings (HB).  They make all organic baby food and freeze it in convenient little cubes.  The have plenty of different options for different stages of eating, from 6 months all the way to toddler meals.  We tried a few fruits, veggies and combinations but she didn't seem to really enjoy eating.

On Thursday I made soup for a Soup Swap, which is a great idea (see below for a quick how-to).  I made a Winter Vegetable soup from scratch with all organic ingredients and decided to puree some for Bug.  There was quite a bit of spice in it (cumin, chili powder, etc) but what the heck, it's worth a shot.  If she eats it, great.  If not, I'll eat it.  Well, did I get a bite? No way!  She loved it!  I have never seen her enjoy something so thoroughly.  So the next morning I heated up some Pear & Brown Rice from HB, added some raspberry rice cereal, some cinnamon and nutmeg and tried it out, again: love.  For lunch she had more soup and for dinner she had Mango, Apple & Carrot from HB.  The next morning, Banana & Tofu mixed with banana rice cereal and cinnamon.  (See below for our mealtime photos)

Bland is blah!  My kid likes flavor!!  We are on an adventure in eating, who knows where it will take us... Stay tuned!








How To Host a Soup Swap
Get 6 friends (or more) to make 6 litres of soup, divide it into 6 containers and freeze
Label the soup with the ingredients, your name, the date it was made and frozen
Get together and share!  If you have more than 6 people, draw numbers and take turns choosing your soups.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you found something that worked for baby Bug....yes flavours are wonderful. I remember when my middle daughter was a toddler, I had some salsa on the table...before I had time to stop her she had taken a spoonful of this salsa and happily put it in her mouth...I was expecting to see her spit it all out but no...she loved it and tried to go for more. To this day that daughter of mine LOVES spicey food!

    ReplyDelete