Thursday, April 19, 2012

Reclaiming Sleep

From the second night after the Bug was born we have co-slept.  That first night in the hospital was awful, they wouldn't let DH stay with us and I was tired and emotional and they took her to the nursery.  I stood my ground after that and she stayed with me every night thereafter. 

I love co-sleeping and before Bug got teeth, nursing at night was fine by me.  It meant sleep.  Now that she has teeth, not so much sleep for me.  It's not that she bites me, she is really good about that.  Once she falls asleep after nursing she doesn't quite let go, and she tends to rub her teeth in her sleep.  Not so nice after awhile.  It wakes me up quite a bit, I have to switch sides A LOT and I get up in the morning sore and tender.

Last night was particularly rough.  Bug woke up around 3:30 and I mean wide awake.  I was sore, I didn't want to let her nurse.  So she whined for an hour and a half before I finally gave in.  And only because my MIL was sleeping (trying to) downstairs and hubby was getting frustrated.

Tonight will be different.  I will not give in.

DH and I have talked about it, he's in.  No matter how much crying, no "boob juice" as Bug calls it.  No more night nursing.

Our goal is to have her weaned off feeding at night before we are ready to buy a new house (crossing my fingers it will be soon!).  Then once we move we plan to convert her crib to a toddler bed and make a big deal of her new bedroom.

So I just finished nursing her to sleep in bed.  That is it now until morning.  I am praying for the strength and patience to stand my ground and not give in.  Wish me luck!

Night one, here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment